Firearms Identification Card
In the State of New Jersey, a Firearms Identification Card is required to purchase long-arms, including shotguns, rifles, black powder, "BB" rifles, pellet rifles, & ammunition.
- Must be (18) years of age or older.
- First time applicants must be fingerprinted.
- The local licensing authority depends on your area of residence. You must contact your local Police Department or the State Agency in which you are requesting licensing.
- Refunds CAN NOT be issued.
Permit to Purchase a Handgun:
A Firearms Identification Card is required when applying for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun.
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Must be a resident of The State of New Jersey.
- Permit holders may purchase handguns from any private citizen or licensed gun shop in New Jersey.
- Not eligible to purchase or receive a handgun from another state unless the sale is processed through a licensed firearms dealer in The State of New Jersey.
- Permits are valid for 90 days from the date of issue. The permit may be extended an additional 90 days if authorized by the Chief of Police.
. Utilize the FARS on-line System for:
(FARS - Firearms & Application Registration System)
- Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Permit to purchase a handgun
- Lost or stolen Identification Card
- Mutilated Identification Card
- Change of address on Identification Card
- Change of sex on Identification Card
- Change of name on Identification Card
How to apply for a Firearms ID Card and/or Purchaser’s Permit
Step 1: You must access the following website. www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars
- FARS will automatically time out in 20 minutes if you do not complete or save information
- Have all the information on your references that you need – accurate addresses/phone numbers
- You can apply for both ID cards and permits to purchase at the same time.
Step 2: Enter the following ORI# NJ0140900. If successfully entered it should display Dover PD.
Step 3: Complete the online application. You can complete the application by using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop and or desktop computer that has internet connection. When completing the application you will need the email address of two (2) reputable references. Your references can be family members.
Step 4: You must respond to the Dover Police Department, 37 North Sussex Street Dover, NJ 07801 to pay for your INITIAL FID Card and or Pistol Purchase Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
Facts regarding FARS
- FARS is taking the place of the STS033 form.
- Applicant MUST enter their “Official Name”.
- Applicant must enter accurate phone numbers and emails for themselves and their references.
- Family members CAN be references.
- After all information required information is entered, a review page will appear where you can edit all information into the application prior to final submission.
- If you are an initial applicant (never have had a firearm’s ID card or permit) you will need to be fingerprinted.
- Print out confirmation page and application at the end of the process for reference purposes.
Once your application request is completed
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process
- Applicant references will receive an automated email from: firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to the online reference questionnaire.
- The background investigation [conducted by our detective personnel] will not begin until the applicant has been fingerprinted and their references have completed the online reference questionnaire.
- Once your application is complete, you will be notified by New Jersey State Police.
- Firearms ID Cards and permit to purchases are now generated electronically in FARS once approved.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer that has internet connection. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to process your background investigation.
- The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well as the best email addresses for yourself and references.
"Permit to Carry" Application Instructions
REQUIRED – Ownership of a handgun – If you have an FID card but do not have a handgun, https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS
REQUIRED – Fingerprinting – All applicants must be fingerprinted for initial and renewal applications. Applicants can visit www.IDENTOGO.com to schedule an appointment. When scheduling, the applicant must provide the investigating agencies ORI# (NJ0140900), fingerprint service code (2F164B), and a contributor’s case number. Fingerprint results must be received within ninety (90) days of application.
REQUIRED - When starting the process for a Permit to Carry application, contact a range or firearms training center where you can schedule a training course in gun safety. Upon completion you will receive documents certifying that you completed the training. You will submit those documents along with your application to your local police department.
** THE REQUIRED WRITTEN FIREARMS QUALIFICATION, IN ACCORDANCE WITH N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B), CAN BE OBTAINED AT MOST FIREARM RANGES THROUGH OUT THE STATE. A LIST IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON WWW.NJSP.ORG > PUBLIC INFORMATION > FIREARMS INFORMATION > NEW JERSEY SHOOTING RANGES FOR RPO QUALIFICATION.
REQUIRED – Complete the NJ Permit to Carry application, https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/forms.shtml and submit with qualifications and certifications to your local police department.
The following instructions are the same for the initial and renewal application
YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON
Out of State Resident – apply at a non-toll road State Police Barracks closest to your residence.
In State Resident – apply to your local police department (State Police patrolled areas apply to local Barracks.)
PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
1. Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Passport OR Driver’s License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card
2. Three (3) State of New Jersey Applications for Permit To Carry A Handgun, form SP642. Must be double sided and notarized.
3. Four (4) color passport size photographs.
4. Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP066.
5. Written proof of ownership and qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying.
a. Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt or purchase permit or a notarized letter of ownership listing make, model, and serial number of handgun(s).
b. Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and include Instructors Name and Certification, make, model, caliber and serial number of handgun(s) you intend to carry.
6. Money Order in the amount of $50.00 payable to; “Treasurer, State of New Jersey”
** A NEW JERSEY PERMIT TO CARRY IS VALID FOR TWO (2) YEARS FROM TIME OF APPROVAL.
** IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.