What is a Planning Division?
The Planning Division provides general planning and landscape design services to the Planning Board, Board of Adjustment, and any committees of either Board and the Town Council.
A town planner is responsible for the design and development of urban areas, such as towns and cities, finding a balance between demands on the land being developed and the needs of the community. This varies between a national, regional, or local level and requires an awareness of the environmental and economic impacts of a proposed development.
What is Economic Development?
Economic development is a policy intervention endeavor to improve the economic and social well-being of people and support sustained economic growth.
Amartya Kumar Sen, an economist and philosopher, who received the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences, once said:
“Economic development is about creating freedom for people and removing obstacles to greater freedom. Greater freedom enables people to choose their destiny.”
The Department of Economic Development is organized to retain, attract, and grow businesses, enhance small and minority business capacity, and spur real estate development throughout the Town of Dover. We execute economic development activities to produce and sustain economic growth, generate jobs, and create well-being for the residents of Dover.
We promote and facilitate economic development throughout Dover. Working in conjunction with elected officials, and non-profit organizations our Department serves the people and business community of Dover by:
- Assisting businesses, especially small businesses;
- Administering programs that stimulate neighborhood economic development and contribute to the overall economic well-being of Dover;
- Facilitating the dissemination of economic development information; and
- Working with the government to coordinate existing economic development efforts and focus resources for maximum impact.
- Marketing Dover as a premier destination to visitors and families looking to call Dover home.
We promote and develop the planning and growth of the Town of Dover, through the implementation and coordination of all economic development plans and programs including matters affecting community & business development, downtown business district growth, and quality of life issues.